Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Who watches in the shadows?


I woke up lying against his chest, his strong arm trembling across my shoulder. I had dozed off there on the sofa, exhausted from lack of sleep over the weekend. It was strangely quite, no TV, no lights, only the sound of the air moving raggedly in and out of his lungs. There was a storm approaching, that was clear, and it was too late to seek shelter. I listened to his words without speaking, already knowing what he would say. Inside my head alarm bells were clanging wildly in a hurricane force wind, while I sat still as a mouse trapped under a teacup. When he let me speak I told him the affair was over, that I had fallen in love with him again. We talked for a long time, but what we said could be reduced to three words, “I love you”. He had known since December, and had already gone through the array of emotions; anger, sorrow, fear, panic, and I can’t imagine what else. Instead of raging at me when he found out, he set out to win me back, and he succeeded most admirably. I am overwhelmed with the class he exhibited, floored that I had underestimated the person that I have slept beside for over 30 years. This is the man I had thought lost forever in a vat of alcohol, the man I felt was not strong enough to deal with me, the man I believed could not change. I put his fears of losing me to rest, and that is all he asked. He loves me so much he accepts the blame for what I did. He said he wasn’t paying attention, had made no effort to see that I was happy, and had taken for granted that I would always be there. He said he wonders that I didn’t do it sooner.

When I started the affair I was ready to walk, to run really. I remember very clearly dreading the end of each day when I would have to come home. Now every time I arrive at the door he is there to greet me with a kiss, a bear hug, and words of sweet affection. I find now that I am rushing to get home just to see him again. In describing myself I tell people that I am not a gambler, but I am a risk taker. I have always been willing to take the consequences for my actions, but this time I can’t decide if I got what I deserved or not. I jumped off a very high cliff and I landed pretty well. The bruises will heal with time, and he will never have a reason to doubt me again. He told me if he ever got distracted and quit taking care of his home life, I only need say the man’s name to get his attention. I am telling this to you all not knowing who might be reading my words, and I am feeling very exposed. He says someone called him and told him, but he will not say who. He had names and places, which frightens me, because I was not the only one who was taking a risk. This has been my place to come and scream when life was too difficult to bear. Now I wonder who listens and judges me, even in this small refuge. He told me I had been discrete, but that Richmond is really a small town in a small world. Before today it was a city where no enemies lived.

10 comments:

  1. The old honky-tonk song comes to mind....

    "Someone's gonna get hurt tonight... before the night is over."

    Your ears must be burning. I met up w/ my friend Val last night, surrounded by a half-dozen lovely young ladies. Someone told the story of your blog.

    Small world indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's quite an awakening, all the way around. Your husband is a good man to accept his part in it and a better man not hold it over your head.

    Bloggerville seems to get smaller all the time, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody loves a soap opera.

    It's the Eagles Matt:
    Somebody's gonna hurt someone
    before the night is through
    Somebody's gonna come undone.
    There's nothin' we can do.
    Everybody wants to touch somebody
    if it takes all night.
    Everybody wants to take a little chance,
    Make it come out right.

    Sort of appropriate, huh. I hope you made sure the ladies told it true.

    WG - He has had as much or more of an awakening than I have. Yes, he is a good man, but you know what? Despite all of the crap of the last year I am a good woman. He would tell you that if he knew about this blog, which he may, I'm not sure. I am smart, easy on the eyes, endlessly passionate, and I forgave him his affair with the bottle. Oh, and a damn good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does your whole town know about this place now? ;)
    I wouldn't sweat it; the issue's in the past now and your man's smart enough to realize that he had his own part to play in all of it.
    Let bygones be bygones. In the end, all the wagging tongues have nothing better to do but try and hitch a ride on the gossip express. Sometimes the old lady who fell off the wagon wants very desperately to get back on, hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually OB it doesn't bother me, but I do worry about my husband's feelings, not to mention possibly disrupting the life of the man. I know you are aware of that situation. It's even worse than the whole town since Matt lives about 100 miles north of here. We may be talking the whole east coast. I do nothing by half measures, as you know very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i assure you SB that this isn't coming in judgement. the issue of worrying about "disrupting the life of the man" should have been thought of prior to getting into the whole thing, it seems - instead of postemptively, in an attempt to save face...

    it HAS been done...

    however, i'm very glad that your husband and you are working things out within your marriage...sounds like you're both on the path to recovery.

    and shame on those wagging tongues! it's a travesty that you should feel unsafe in what has become such a trusted space for you...no one should ever have to feel that exposed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roselle, it was though of and carefully, but we both had needs that overwhelmed our logic. It seemed like a relatively safe situation as no one would have ever thought of putting us together. I was on the way out the door and he would like to be, but there are other considerations that hold him.

    Thanks for your concern and support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, no, you are not a good woman. You are an extraordinary woman. He is lucky to have realized that in time and won you back. He is a good man for not holding grudges against you, and you are extraordinary to have stuck around long enough to have given him the chance to win you again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WG that is a sweet compliment, especially coming from someone who is an extraordinary woman in her own right. I am quite sure I would not be here if I hadn't had the support of non judgemental friends like you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the Mutual Adoration Society... you're member #2.

    ReplyDelete